[ Read Best ] Quest for the Golden HareAuthor Bamber Gascoigne – Avengersinfinitywarfullmovie.de

From Septemberto March , millions of people the world over became obsessed with a quest for buried treasure The architect of this extraordinary cosmic charade was a painted by the name of Kit Williams, who hid the clues in a book called Masquerade By the time the golden hare had been unearthed, it had led to an astonishing variety of dare devil adventures and personal discoveriesBamber Gascoigne, chosen as the one impartial witness to the treasure s location and the solution to the mystery, subsequently wrote this book, which answers every question asked about the masquerade, including a step by step explanation of how the puzzle was conceived, and of the perfect solution A great history of the global obsession and eventual controversy that was Kit Williams Masquerade I first learned of this book in 1990 so I was a good decade too late to even attempt to find the treasure, but the book taught me that I had muchto learn before I go tackling riddles It seemed impossible to me, so I just focused on the beauty of the art inside Walking in London, I saw a copy of Masquerade packaged together with The Quest For The Golden Hare in the window of a book shop A great history of the global obsession and eventual controversy that was Kit Williams Masquerade I first learned of this book in 1990 so I was a good decade too late to even attempt to find the treasure, but the book taught me that I had muchto learn before I go tackling riddles It seemed impossible to me, so I just focused on the beauty of the art inside Walking in London, I saw a copy of Masquerade packaged together with The Quest For The Golden Hare in the window of a book shop The price was 40 for the pair, and I grabbed it My copy of Masquerade was long gone the binding went so my favorite pages decorated my walls so I jumped at the chance for a new copy and to read about the discovery Since this book outlines the riddle in the appendices, I highly recommend finding a copy of Masquerade to refer to once you finish this one 2.5 stars.I m sure people who have a personal connection to the quest like this book better than someone like me who just read it as a documentation of a piece of cultural history For that purpose it was ok, but frankly the source where I found out about this book, Jimmy Maher s blog The Digital Antiquarian did a better job in describing the whole affair, and even its further aftermath concerning Ken Thomas and various other things that took place after the book had already been published.M 2.5 stars.I m sure people who have a personal connection to the quest like this book better than someone like me who just read it as a documentation of a piece of cultural history For that purpose it was ok, but frankly the source where I found out about this book, Jimmy Maher s blog The Digital Antiquarian did a better job in describing the whole affair, and even its further aftermath concerning Ken Thomas and various other things that took place after the book had already been published.Maybe it was because I was not familiar with Masquerade the book that I found the description of the contest a bit confusing The book was published quite soon after the hunt was over, and no doubt targeted to those who had been involved in it Anyway Maher s blog was the better account 30 years after the fact and for someone who didn t take part.Also I think there were too many masqueraders cases that weren t that interesting, while the people who found the real solution to the riddle as well as the solution itself were not given the length I think it would have deserved Anyway, many of the masqueraders cases just showed so clearly that people will become convinced of the craziest things What a great read In 1979, Kit Williams released Masquerade , his phenomenally successful picture book a book which hid in its pages the location of a buried golden hare The hunt lastedthan two years, and Gascoigne the only man besides Williams to know the hare s resting place is therefore perfectly positioned to tell 90% of this tale see below for the other 10% Gascoigne gives us insight into the unique mind of Williams, from his upbringing to his early career, and to the meetin What a great read In 1979, Kit Williams released Masquerade , his phenomenally successful picture book a book which hid in its pages the location of a buried golden hare The hunt lastedthan two years, and Gascoigne the only man besides Williams to know the hare s resting place is therefore perfectly positioned to tell 90% of this tale see below for the other 10% Gascoigne gives us insight into the unique mind of Williams, from his upbringing to his early career, and to the meeting that led to the book s development We see how Williams designed the riddle, the events of the publishing, and the ensuing publicity Gascoigne devotes a good third of the book to case histories examinations of many of the Masqueraders , as dedicated treasure hunters were known, and their various theories and idiosyncrasies These are particularly delightful as some of these people continue to hold to their own beliefs even though the answer to the riddle has now been revealed.Gascoigne has an easy writing style and is clearly enjoying himself immensely, and it shows in his descriptive and insightful account of the entire event from creation to resolution He debunks many frustratingly incorrect theories that developed, and waxes philosophical on what the quest revealed about human nature It s a great parallel to be drawn with religion everyone is given the same clues, but some people manage to extrapolate ludicrous theories based on one element while ignoring all others, and other people manage to tie their own interests back into the clues even where it clearly requires immense stretches of logic.This is capped off by the perfect solution submitted by the only two men who ever figured out the whole riddle This is a very enjoyable read if you have the original book by your side as well, and after learning of the devotion of many of the Masqueraders the circumstances surrounding the solving of the puzzle are almost heartbreaking The only downside is that the book, as it was published in the early 1980s, was too early to uncover one final scandal the man who found the hare was not who he claimed, and in fact further investigation revealed it wasn t luck or insight that led him to the location, but instead insider knowledge It was a dirty end to an otherwise marvelous modern myth, and it s a pity that the news came out after this book was published But never mind this is a great summary of a breathtaking real life event found via on 20150927 found via on 20150927 I recently unearthed this book while unboxing my collection, and had been hesitating to read it because I didn t want my own quest to end It is, of course, the companion to Kit Williams phenomenal Masquerade, the puzzle book treasure hunt that captivated Britain and the pre internet world from 1979 to 1981 While the titular golden hare, crafted by Williams, has long since been found, Masquerade still remains a combination children s story and art book, featuring anagrams, magic squares, and o I recently unearthed this book while unboxing my collection, and had been hesitating to read it because I didn t want my own quest to end It is, of course, the companion to Kit Williams phenomenal Masquerade, the puzzle book treasure hunt that captivated Britain and the pre internet world from 1979 to 1981 While the titular golden hare, crafted by Williams, has long since been found, Masquerade still remains a combination children s story and art book, featuring anagrams, magic squares, and other hidden puzzles One still can, at one s leisure, attempt to find where the jewel was buried, and even knowing the location and Williams methodology, try to reconstruct it To be honest, I skipped over the portion of the book dealing with the actual construction of the puzzle, and the perfect solution , in order to do just that Bamber Gascoigne is a British journalist who was present with Williams for the burying of the hare, and Quest for the Golden Hare documents the project from conception to execution, to the final discovery of the jewel under controversial nay, disastrous circumstances It includes a number of profiles of theavid hunters and their ingenious, but mostly misguided, attempts to make sense of the clues and red herrings Williams inserted into the book It also includes the perfect solution submitted by two treasure hunters coincidental with the finding of the hare.I strongly doubt that treasure hunts like this could be done today, as the internet facilitates discussion and collusion muchefficiently than 35 years ago The two year hunt for the hare could be reduced to weeks, perhaps even days But the puzzle endures